Roof is the primary visual focal point of your house and plays a vital role in how your house is perceived. A well maintained, beautifully painted roof will add to the value of your Auckland home and make it stand out from the crowd. Roofs also provides the ultimate protection for your home, so it is crucial to keep it in good shape. While restoring and cleaning your roof is important, a top quality paint coat can increase the longevity of your home.
So what is the average cost of painting a roof in Auckland?
First, we will need to assess the project scope by paying an on-site visit. Our dedicated project manager will do a walk around your house to determine what kind of work is needed to start the painting process.
Here at Superior Painters, we believe that there’s no point of painting the roof if it is not properly cleaned and prepped.
Our professional project manager will evaluate the status of your roof and recommend the best ways of approaching your painting project. No two roofs are alike, and cleaning requirements for different roofs might differ from house to house.
While it’s tempting to kick-start the project on your own, we always advise leaving the cleaning and prepping your roof to the trained professionals. There are critical safety procedures in place, and they should not be taken lightly.
Second, once your roof is all prepped and cleaned, it’s time to start painting!
How much does roof painting cost?
An average roof costs between $1900 – $3,400 and is approximately 100 square metres. An average cost estimate for painting a medium-sized roof in Auckland is between $3,200 and $5,000.
Average cost estimate
|Small houses||$1,900 to $3,400 + GST|
|Mid-size houses||$3,200 to $5,000 + GST|
|Large houses||$4,470 to $7,000 + GST|
Note: price does not include scaffolding or cost of repairs
Have you tried our Roof Painting Cost Calculator?
Due to popular requests for ball park figures, which is a fair request for those who are considering painting or are just researching – we’ve put together a roof painting cost calculator (built in-house) to help.
An example of a finished Roof Painting Project
West Harbour, Auckland - 2020
The cost of roof painting and restoration depends on the size and current condition of your roof. Like most painting tasks, quality can vary greatly based on the type of material and experience of the tradesperson.
Most types of roofs can be painted, such as:
- Tile roofs,
- Wooden roofs,
- Concrete roofs,
- Colorbond or other metal roofs.
What affects the average cost of painting a roof in Auckland, NZ?
A roof painter will consider several factors that go into estimating the average cost of painting a roof in Auckland, NZ. If there’s one thing we’ve learned about house painting, it’s that no project is ever exactly the same. The cost of painting a roof can vary significantly depending on many factors including, but here are some questions we’ll ask before providing a quote:
- The size of your roof - It may seem obvious but it’s surprising how often ‘guesstimates’ based on differently sized properties can lead building owners astray. Larger roof areas can create efficiencies in the painting process but this should not be taken for granted. The size of your roof is the first thing that your painter will take into account when coming up with the quote. As a rule of thumb, larger roof areas typically mean more substantial costs.
- The roof type - The average cost of painting a roof in Auckland, NZ will also be based on your roof type. There are metal roofs, tiled roofs, corrugated iron roofs (which is the most popular roof type in Auckland!), and tray roofs that you can usually see on commercial buildings. Different roof types require different paint. Therefore, your painter will also e of your take your house roof type into consideration when estimating the average cost.
- Materials - Painting a roof is a complicated process. Since roofs are constantly exposed to different weather elements, we always recommend opting for higher quality paint to make sure that the result will last you for many years to come. For example, you have an option to choose a paint with UV protection as it’s going to protect your roof from fading too quickly. This type of paint is more expensive but will end up costing you less in the long run.
- What is the current condition of the roof? Some roofs will require additional preparation and priming prior to applying the coatings so it’s important to closely inspect roof’s current condition when seeking an estimate. On previous projects we’ve used double water-blasting, alkyd (stain-blocking) primers and hand preparation to get a roof ready to paint. Ensuring the roof is in the best condition possible before applying paint is key to a long-lasting paint job
- What is the angle of the roof? Steeply angled roofs increase the overall surface area and must be factored in when measuring your roof. Severe angles can increase the difficulty and access requirements, which can impact the overall price. There are also other factors to consider for costing and time-lining any roof painting project.
Did you know?
That industry standard/practice is spraying for roof painting? By using this method, it provides an even coating and a nice clean finish compared to rolling and hand brushing. Thus it’s more cost-effective compared to rolling and brushing.
3 Important Roof Painting Tips
Roof painting is a great home improvement project as the roof is the ultimate protection of the house. While it serves as a shield from outdoor elements, it also has a significant visual impact and can determine your house’s overall look and feel. If you have decided that your roof needs a color fix, there are some things to keep in mind in order to achieve the professional roof painting results.
1. Hiring an expert
While roof painting might sound like a fun DIY project, there are many things that go into the job that meets the eye. Aside from obvious dangers, roof painting involves following certain safety procedures that cannot be overlooked. Thus, as tempting as the DIY project might be, we always recommend placing the roof painting process into the hands of professionals. Here at the Superior Painters, we have experience painting any roof surfaces and types and can guarantee flawless results in short turnaround times. Our roof painting expertise helps us to assess any roof painting job and provide long-lasting results so that your roof could look as good as new.
2. Cleaning the surface of the roof
Roof painting in Auckland can vary slightly depending on the materials and the type of the roof. However, no matter what type of the roof you have, it has to be properly cleaned before you start applying the paint. Roofs that are not cleaned properly can later result in leakages that will damage the structure of your Auckland house. That is why, we will always do a walk around to inspect your roof for any debris, mold or mildew, and clean your roof using professional equipment. Cleaning requirements can vary from one roof to another, that is why we will use different tools depending on the project’s needs.
3. Choosing the right paint for the roof
Make sure you get the right paint for your specific type of the roof material. There are tiled, metal, corrugated iron, and tray roofs, and they all require a certain type of paint. Thankfully, there are a few options when it comes to proof painting in Auckland and you will need to decide what will work for you. For example, water-based roofing paints would work the best on cement tiles and shingle roofs, while oil-based paints are best suited for iron roofs. Keep in mind that not all paints are suitable for drinking water. Therefore, if you’re collecting rainwater from your roof, ask your store representative to make sure it’s safe. We always recommend Aucklanders to opt for high-quality paint to achieve peel- free, long lasting results.
Water based roofing paints would be the preferred paint used for cement tiled roofs and shingle roofs but there are some paints on the market that are not suitable for drinking water. So if you do collect rain water from your roof do some research and ask before you purchase your paint if the paint is suitable for the collection of rain water.
Oil based roofing paints are best suited for collecting rain water but I wouldn't paint cement tiles with oil based paint. Oil based roofing paints are best suited to iron roofs, if the roof is old and rusty it will help keep the rust at bay. Water based paints can be used on iron roofs but I would make sure any rust is treated well or it may appear again soon after painting.
Tips and Advice
- Base coat required when roof colour is faded or if the tiles look dry
- For older roofs, recommended a base coat (undercoat) is applied prior to two topcoat for finishing
- Make sure the correct base coat is selected prior to painting as different types of roofings require different bases. E.g metal and corrugated iron roof base coat is metal primer for rust treatment and stops the rust from corroding the newly painted roof.
“Beware of when a quote is received by painters, ensure that you ask if scaffolding cost is included. Most quotes exclude scaffolding cost as its dependant on the height of the property and how much scaffolding parts is needed for edge protection. Standard one storey house does not require scaffolding provided that the roof angle is not over 45 degrees. This has been confirmed by work safe, however we do recommend precaution is taken to ensure safety" Michael Tran - Project Manager
There are a lot of things that go into consideration before we start roof painting in Auckland. A seasoned professional will take all the necessary steps to prep and clean your roof as all these steps are necessary to create a long-lasting roof paint. Get in touch with us today if you have any roof painting questions and get a custom quote today!
With all these considerations, It’s why we always recommend a comprehensive site visit and consultation period. A quick ‘drive-by quote’ or seeing photos of the roof is not good enough to provide a realistic estimate. It’s also why, with the equipment available nowadays, there’s no excuse not to get these small details right.
Get In Touch, Free Color Consultation
Are you looking get an estimate for your painting needs? Need help choosing your paint colours or putting together a complete exterior or interior look for your property? Then request a visit from a Superior Painter Colour Consultant.
During the color consultation, you’ll receive:
- Professional advice on color selection and design for your home
- Free on-site project appraisal based on your needs
- Plan of action/ proposal for your project
- And get all your questions answered with no obligations