A bit about the Roof Painting Cost Calculator (NZ)
When looking at the price of painting the roof of a house especially in Auckland, it is important to understand what this price actually covers. Generally, when looking at the cost of exterior painting, the factors you will see below are generally the main factors that determine the overall cost – but it definitely not limited to those factors and there is still a range within each factor based on each individual property.
This Roof Painting Cost Calculator is designed only for you to get an indication of what you can expect to invest based on the provided information. There are additional factors that could have an impact on the cost of the project such as the amount of preparation work, access (scaffolding), height, complexity etc.
What affects the average cost of painting a roof in Auckland, NZ?
A roof painter will consider several factors that go into estimating the average cost of painting a roof in Auckland, NZ. If there’s one thing we’ve learned about house painting, it’s that no project is ever exactly the same. The cost of painting a roof can vary significantly depending on many factors including, but here are some questions we’ll ask before providing a quote:
- The size of your roof – It may seem obvious but it’s surprising how often ‘guesstimates’ based on differently sized properties can lead building owners astray. Larger roof areas can create efficiencies in the painting process but this should not be taken for granted. The size of your roof is the first thing that your painter will take into account when coming up with the quote. As a rule of thumb, larger roof areas typically mean more substantial costs.
- The roof type – The average cost of painting a roof in Auckland, NZ will also be based on your roof type. There are metal roofs, tiled roofs, corrugated iron roofs (which is the most popular roof type in Auckland!), and tray roofs that you can usually see on commercial buildings. Different roof types require different paint. Therefore, your painter will also e of your take your house roof type into consideration when estimating the average cost.
- Materials – Painting a roof is a complicated process. Since roofs are constantly exposed to different weather elements, we always recommend opting for higher quality paint to make sure that the result will last you for many years to come. For example, you have an option to choose a paint with UV protection as it’s going to protect your roof from fading too quickly. This type of paint is more expensive but will end up costing you less in the long run.
- What is the current condition of the roof? Some roofs will require additional preparation and priming prior to applying the coatings so it’s important to closely inspect roof’s current condition when seeking an estimate. On previous projects we’ve used double water-blasting, alkyd (stain-blocking) primers and hand preparation to get a roof ready to paint. Ensuring the roof is in the best condition possible before applying paint is key to a long-lasting paint job
- What is the angle of the roof? Steeply angled roofs increase the overall surface area and must be factored in when measuring your roof. Severe angles can increase the difficulty and access requirements, which can impact the overall price. There are also other factors to consider for costing and time-lining any roof painting project.
Did you know?
That cost can vary due to repair work needed on the roof for example. E.g Rust, cracks, bolts and washer replacements, anti rust treatment, cleaning etc. Roof on average requires painting after 10 years to maintain its protection. Make sure roof wash is done yearly to ensure no mould or lime grows into the paint. By doing this, in future it will help save cost in long term for maintenance purposes.
“The angle of the roof will also play a factor in cost as the steeper the roof the more scaffolding cost will be as more scaffolding material is required. For better and longer-lasting protection, avoid using roof paint that has a base coat mixed in with topcoat. If your roof is overly dried and colour faded, a base coat is strongly recommended as it will prevent the tiles from drying out.”
Michael Tran – Project Manager
Roof Painting Cost Calculator (NZ)
Cost are calculated by averages just to give you an indication. Always seek professional advice and quotations from a project manager if you require an accurate estimate. Never use this calculator as a foundation for your allowances or finances – only for research purposes. Rates & material costs vary from region to region as well (outside of Auckland).